All who dwell on the earth will worship him, everyone whose name has not been written from the foundation of the world in the book of the life of the Lamb who has been slain. Revelation 13:8


Though He slay me, I will hope in Him. Job 13:15


For from him and through Him and to Him are all things. To Him be the glory forever. Amen. Romans 11:36

He who did not spare His own Son but gave Him up for us all, how will he not also with him graciously give us all things?" Romans 8:32



















Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Regret from childhood

After writing the last post, I recalled another instance from childhood that haunts me.  I am going to remove names in this writing, but the story is true.

I don't know how old I was.  Perhaps 7 or 8.  Being raised in church, we were always told about God and the Bible.  It followed then, to be taught to tell others about what you have been told, and what you know about God.  I remember thinking just that.

One day, I was with my family and friends, and we were around relatives that weren't saved.  There was a moment when I met one of them who was much older than I was, and I decided to ask them if they knew about Jesus, and if they were saved.  You see, I cared very much for this person.  After I asked the question, they responded with a "What was that?"  I guess they didn't hear me.  Well, at the moment I had asked the question, someone had come around the corner, and had heard me ask, and then hearing the response and seeing perhaps that the other didn't really hear me, this "someone" shushed me along, and moved me away-instructing me not to ask at the time.

I never asked that question again.

I apologize for the vagueness; however, I have never spoken of this before.  I want to convey this truth that I feel:   God prompts you to tell others about Him.

As a youth group leader, parent, coworker, general church attender, I will NEVER instruct another to wait, or to ask another time.  That moment is the time!  My children will never hear their father tell them to hold that thought because I might feel awkward if they asked a co-worker of mine.  Might I be put on the spot?  Yes.  Might I not say the exact right thing?  Yes.  But I believe God is supreme, all powerful, all sovereign, and has ordained that at that moment, my child might ask someone about Jesus.  By shushing my child, I would be teaching them NOT to tell another, to be ashamed of what they believe, or acknowledge that others might feel a different way. 

Well, they might feel a different way, unless the Father calls them!  Who cares if they feel a different way!  Who cares if you lose your job!  Who cares what the world can do you!  They can't do anything that lasts.

For the person I asked, I don't know if they were saved or not.  I will always look back and feel regret that I couldn't finish, or that I didn't speak more loudly at first. 

For my children, and my friends:  If you are struck at a moment to speak the truth about your knowledge of God, just do it.  Who do you think put the thought in your mind?

Matthew 21:16, Matthew 16:25, John 6:44, Acts 18:10

No comments:

Post a Comment