All who dwell on the earth will worship him, everyone whose name has not been written from the foundation of the world in the book of the life of the Lamb who has been slain. Revelation 13:8


Though He slay me, I will hope in Him. Job 13:15


For from him and through Him and to Him are all things. To Him be the glory forever. Amen. Romans 11:36

He who did not spare His own Son but gave Him up for us all, how will he not also with him graciously give us all things?" Romans 8:32



















Monday, June 18, 2012

Days, Months, and Years

I heard something recently that struck a cord within me, and might have a great impact for you.  I had never heard this before, and thought it was something every person should know.

It has to do with why we do some of the things we do all the time, or why we acknowledge some things day in and day out, week in and week out.

Let's start with a day.  Do you know why we have periods of time in lengths called days?  You might say that it is because it takes that long for the earth to rotate.  You're right.  We turn on an axis, and complete that rotation in a one day period.

How about a month?  Why were there month cycles set up?  Based waxing and waning of the moon, we used months the separate the times into months.  This make sense, I guess, and as I look at my calender, you can see the full moon, quarter moon, and half moon, etc  that make up each month.  This happens monthly and I never really paid much attention, but I'll accept that, and perhaps you will too.

I guess next would be a year.  Any idea why we have years, or what type of thing denotes a period of a year?  Turns out it takes exactly that long for the earth to orbit the sun.  As we rotate on our axis, we have a day, but as we make our way around the center of our solar system, we create a year's worth of days.  We are about halfway through our year now. 

The next part I heard really got me.  Why do we have periods of time divided into a thing called a week?  Answer?  There is no scientific, astrological reason for this time period.  I found that to be interesting; however, the reason was much greater than any celestial body's movement.  The reason we have weeks, and that there have been periods of time separated into weeks for thousands of years is because God created the world in six days, and rested on the 7th, and this was a week.

So what this means is that for every 7 days period starting with Sunday, as the world counts its calendar they and we are commemorating God's 7 day creation so long ago.

Just think about that for a while.

No comments:

Post a Comment