All who dwell on the earth will worship him, everyone whose name has not been written from the foundation of the world in the book of the life of the Lamb who has been slain. Revelation 13:8


Though He slay me, I will hope in Him. Job 13:15


For from him and through Him and to Him are all things. To Him be the glory forever. Amen. Romans 11:36

He who did not spare His own Son but gave Him up for us all, how will he not also with him graciously give us all things?" Romans 8:32



















Friday, September 7, 2012

King David and his God Part 3

Continuing with David:

After David calls upon Yahweh, Yahweh responds in a grand display, and then what does He do when his anointed one is troubled?

Verse 15-20, 28

And he sent out arrows and scattered them;

Lightning, and routed them.

Then the channels of the sea were seen;

The foundations of the world were laid bare,

At the rebuke of the LORD,

At the blast of the breath of his nostrils.

He sent from on high, he took me;

He drew me out of many waters.

He rescued me from my strong enemy,

From those who hated me,

For they were too mighty for me.

They confronted me in the day of my calamity,

But the LORD was my support.

He brought me out into a broad place;

He rescued me, because he delighted in me.

 
You save a humble people,

But your eyes are on the haughty to bring them down.

 

What did God do?  He destroyed his enemies, and he always has, and always will.  No one can thwart God’s plan, God’s anointed, or God himself.  Arrows, lightning, and whatever uses he deems fit, he will use to defend His honor and His own glory.

This God didn’t protect David from any inconvenience or enemies that were “too mighty for him”  or even from fear of what might happen to him, but Yahweh did deliver Him at the appointed time.  Why? 

Why would God allow all of these ills to befall David when He planned on delivering Him?  I submit this thought:  Would David have written these things down about God if God didn’t do them for him?  How would we then read about God today if God didn’t demonstrated himself in this way to David?

Isn’t that the same as saying that Yahweh did it this way so that you would know Him?  The God of the universe wants you to know that he can protect you, has been protecting his own in a great display of his power for thousands of years.  He will accomplish his purpose.

And lest you think David gets a high opinion of himself after God’s delighting in Him (for more thoughts on this, read John Piper’s book “The Pleasure of God”), he says in verse 28, that God is saving humble people. 

In other words, He saves people that know they don’t deserve it.  That’s you and me.

What a mighty God this is, and how he demands our whole heart in worship!

No comments:

Post a Comment