All who dwell on the earth will worship him, everyone whose name has not been written from the foundation of the world in the book of the life of the Lamb who has been slain. Revelation 13:8


Though He slay me, I will hope in Him. Job 13:15


For from him and through Him and to Him are all things. To Him be the glory forever. Amen. Romans 11:36

He who did not spare His own Son but gave Him up for us all, how will he not also with him graciously give us all things?" Romans 8:32



















Wednesday, March 6, 2013

God's choice of Zechariah

This post will be the first of 12 posts describing in detail my wife Sarah's and my "ride" from pregnancy to the Devos Children's Hospital last month.  Sitting at work one Friday morning, these several dates and events kept coming to mind, and with each step, I thought the story was quite compelling, and one that God might use both for my own sake, for my (his) children's sake, and perhaps others.  I hope that it is challenging and encouraging for you.

Spring 2012- Sarah and I have four children.  We were satisfied with four children.  We had no plans to have more than four children.  Life is expected.  Plans are made and followed through- generally speaking.  There was nothing upsetting our apple cart.  Audrey, Haley and Brett were finishing school, and Madalyn was three years old, and not in school yet.  She was the only one home with Mom after the rest were dropped off from school.  When Madalyn turned 18, I'd be 48, and all my kids would be out of the house (ish), and we could be free-sorta like that brief, ever so brief, period between marriage and our first child- of which I can hardly recall.

Our plans weren't God's plans.  I was 32 years old.  Four children is a lot of kids.  Everyone thinks you're crazy.  (Well, until we started attending RBC)  You just get used to it, and figure that since you are in your thirties, there is no need to mess around anymore.  If one was to have a fifth child, it should have been born more closely to the time of baby #4.  Goodness, at this time, we still called Madalyn, "Baby."  She was almost 4!!

Modern wisdom's vote was against us.  God was with us in a way we didn't expect.

Sarah didn't want to use a monthly prescription to prohibit more children, so we were watching calendars, and keeping track.  As a logical person, and with a joint plan, there was no way we were going to get pregnant.

God used a special circumstance to lower our "guard" in order to produce a child.  Details are personal; however, the logical person I am was compromised, and the "no more children" Sarah was weakened.

A while later, Sarah was late, and panic set in.  This wasn't happening.  One day Sarah bought a test, and I came home to the news.  I knew already, I just did.  Tears, laughter, shock, surprise- many emotions visited us that day.  We didn't know what to do, or who would believe us if we told them.

The very next day, I had to call my brother.  He responded pretty well.  I swore him to secrecy except for Staci his wife.  I came home and told Sarah that I had told Matt.

I'm not sure how much time elapsed from that day until the next "revealing."

One night, we had Clay, Jessica, and Caleb over.  Many people did not know the news.  We told them.  Caleb was pretty pleased that he was "in the know" early on with news like this.  Jessica started crying.  We felt embarrassed in a way, yet happy.  It was good to tell others.

On April 23rd, we told our 4 children.  The revelation was videoed and posted on facebook.  Haley's immediate response was, "No, that's not true."  We received blank strares for a bit.  I think they finally believed  us when Sarah stood up and pointed at her belly.  Giggles, laughter, and kicking legs ensued.

God had blessed us again as He says in the Scriptures:

Psalm 127:3-5:  "Behold, children are a heritage from the LORD, the fruit of the womb a reward.  Like arrows in the hand of a warriors are the children's of one's youth.  Blessed is the man who fills his quiver with them!  He shall not be put to shame when he speaks with his enemies in the gate."

Proverbs 18:22:  "He who finds a wife finds a good thing and obtains favor from the LORD."

Isaiah 55:9:  "For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways and my thoughts than your thoughts."

Feeling blessed, nervous, and surprised, we sought to handle this pregnancy in a way we had never thought of before.....

O God you took us by surprise
You sought to turn away our eyes
From things on earth and planned out days
To cause us to know your hand and ways.


No comments:

Post a Comment